Monday, February 3, 2014

DWM 2/3/14: What a mess!

Nothing on my design wall today. Instead, here's my work table/cutting table:
Sewing room, 2/3/14

The sewing room is a mess. Everything is pushed toward the far end of the room because the sewing table (not in picture) is opened up into "aircraft carrier mode" for quilting Labyrinth. There's barely room for me to stand between the ironing board and the fabric closet, and the work table is pushed up against the ironing board.

Here's what this mess is all about, clockwise from iron:
  • Baskets of fabric in the fabric closet, the only non-messy part of this picture!
  • 12-1/2" ruler, pile of leftover fabrics and pattern notes from Big Print Beauty on the ironing board
  • Blue fabrics for Singing the Blues on the ironing board
  • Big black notebook on the cutting table: this is my quilt journal/lifetime quilt log, now Volume 1. I keep a photo or EQ drawing of each of my quilts in a page sleeve in this book. If there's a pattern, the pattern goes in the sleeve, too, along with swatches of the fabrics used and any supplemental stuff, like thank you notes from the recipient, etc. As you can see, this book is full.
  • Open black notebook and small white notebook: stuff related to the book I'm working on. The page that's open is the EQ drawing for Singing the Blues.
  • Red notebook: as of today, Volume 2 of my quilt journal, beginning with 2014. Labyrinth, Big Print Beauty, Singing the Blues, Zen Garden, and everything else from here on will go into this notebook, until it's full. It took 23 years to fill Volume 1; I wonder how long it will take to fill Volume 2?
  • Black stuff under the red book: Tote bags on top of the Rubbermaid drawer stacks.  Not pretty. I really do need to fine somewhere else for them so the room will look better.
  • Aqua print at far left: Leftover backing from Labyrinth, to be used for hanging sleeve.
  • Piles of stuff between there and the iron: fabrics, notes, and stuff leftover from other projects that need to be cleaned up, put away, trashed, or otherwise organized.
When my sewing room is this messy it makes me feel crowded and stressed. I like it better when it's cleaned up and calm, although the rest of my house is full of clutter all the time and that doesn't bother me at all.

Linking up today with Judy at Patchwork Times.  Go find something much more inspiring than my messy sewing room on someone else's design wall!  

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, there'll be a big pile of washing to be done and I'll be neatly folding fabric into piles by colour! I think its called crafternation (crafter's procrastination!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hate when my sewing room looks like this. However, I have a hard time using my valuable time to organize when I can be creating! :-D (I do clean up periodically and it's amazing how much more I can get done when I'm uncluttered!)

    ReplyDelete