Monday, January 4, 2016

DWM: 120 Little Blocks Dancing on my Wall

I spent a lot of time arranging blocks lately. Move them around, take a photo. Run downstairs, download the photo to the laptop, look at it in color and also in black & white. Note what needs to be changed. Run back upstairs and move blocks around some more. Repeat, repeat...

I finally decided the layout was about as balanced as it can get. No two of the same backgrounds touching each other. No two of the same plus fabric near each other. No heavy concentrations of warm, cool, light, dark areas.

So here are my Dancing Plus blocks on the wall. They're sewn into columns, so this is the final layout.

I decided on a half-drop layout, so I need to make filler blocks for the tops and bottoms of the columns where they don't line up. I'll use a variety of background fabrics so they blend in with the rest of the top. This top will finish at 60" x 75" which is a nice size for a sofa throw.

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times; check out what everyone else has on their design walls over there.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations for getting the blocks organized and sewn into columns. I bet you will have a pieced quilt top very, very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, especially the half drop. No seams to match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great!!! I love the half drop idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. It will be a great size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Love the slightly wonky design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun pattern. I like the drop down on alternate rows. Really gives a dancing feel to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very bright and fun! The dropped rows add a lot of interest and I agree with Angela, make the blocks seem to dance.

    ReplyDelete