Monday, October 3, 2016

Bento Box Advice Needed

I've made enough starter blocks for my Bento Box project, half light ones and half dark ones. Here they are on my design wall.

There's more here than I actually need. After cutting and resewing them, the blocks will finish at 12". A 4 x 5 layout would be 48" x 60", a good size for a donation quilt for a tween or teen girl.

I haven't made a Bento Box or any of the variations. When I cut and reassemble the blocks, should I combine two matching pairs of parts? Or should I use four individual parts for a more scattered look? After I cut the starter blocks, I'll put the parts up on the wall to determine the placement, but I welcome your input to help me get started.

More importantly, I'm trying to determine whether to cut the blocks evenly into fourths, or cut them offset. I played with simplified versions in EQ and I'm still undecided.  So, here are the possible layouts, and I'd like to know what you think.
Even layout: Each block is cut and reassembled exactly in fourths

Offset layout: Each block is cut off center both vertically and horizontally. 
All the blocks are cut the same so the parts will fit together. 
Alternate blocks are rotated 90 degrees. 

What do you think? And why? Thanks for your input.

Linking up with Patchwork Times and Em's Scrapbag

15 comments:

  1. I like the first one better. The second one is interesting, but feels a bit too crazy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda, at Exuberant Color, is making a Bento Box right now, too. She has 4 different parts in each block and they are evenly set. I like the look of her design. Love your fabric choices! Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blocks just the way they are so I'm voting for neither ;-) I'm not a fan of the Bento box because it upsets my sense of symmetry (bet you didn't expect that from me, lol).....I know they are symmetrical if you look at it on-point. The one with the stripes, which you've laid horizontally, remind me of the test pattern that used to be broadcast on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never made one, never had the desire to make one so I'm no help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally like the even one better. As for the arrangement, I would just play with them on your design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the even layout, but I bet both would look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made Bento Box quilts on a few occasions, and cut them evenly in half both times. I enjoyed playing with the block arrangements, too, and took my time finding a layout that I found visually pleasing. I'm sure that whatever you decide will turn out very nicely as you have a great eye for fabric placement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The uneven cut is the same as my Stack and Slash quilt. You can check that out (label list on right sidebar). As far as reassembling I thought about doing just 2 matching pairs but in the end went with all 4 different. Both are nice. Play on the design wall before sewing any blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the boxes up on your design wall... but I can see that you want to push this further! I like the first option, the 'even'layout.
    For something completly different though, once cut, have you thought of maybe having them set like the old vintage 'handkerchief' quilts, 1/4 log cabin style, alternating light /dark? With your fabrics, it could look quite art deco! Look forward to seeing what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the even one too. Not sure I can say why, I'm just not a fan of the non-matching look. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together on your design wall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am curious to see what it would look like if each block was cur in half and then matched with another. Then, if that isn't pleasing enough, go ahead and cut the block into quarters as planned (I vote for even quarters). Then I would try using two matching quarters from two blocks to make the new block. Finally, try four different quarters per block. your blocks as you have made them so far (uncut) are really pretty and I am betting they will look so nice just cut in half.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also working on a scrappy plaids Bento Box (new project). I am going to cut my large blocks into even quarters and then play (a lot) with the quarter blocks on the design wall. I'm considering the many Housetop block layouts as well as the many Bento Box arrangements I've seen over the years. Just play - you'll find the right layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh boy - I like them both - but for some reason I am thinking you should try the off center one - not exactly 4ths.... what did you do? ( cuz I am always a step behind - ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many options. I vote for cutting them evenly and 4 different quarter blocks per block. check google images and you will amazed at the variations that are possible. good luck and I check back to see what you decide. you will find the right combinations. micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made one BB. I used two pairs of quarter-blocks for each large block. But take a look at the BB that Wanda's making over at Exuberant Color!

    ReplyDelete