Wednesday, May 3, 2017

WIP: Christmas Tree

Yes, here it is almost Mothers Day and I'm talking about Christmas. But I need to finish this project for an event in July, so I should get going on it.

My new die cutter made cutting all the triangles for my Christmas Tree door hanging go quickly! I used the 3" Triangle-in-a-Square die, and got all the triangles I need cut and laid out on the wall already.

If you missed the back story on this project, my son lives in a small house with roommates, three cats and a toddler. They don't have room for a Christmas tree so my son requested a quilted wall hanging that would fit on the back of a door. He wants loops on it so they can hang real ornaments.

I think that's an inspired idea, and I'm glad to be able to make this for him to solve their Christmas tree problem. He and my grandson will be visiting this weekend, so I can work with him on how the tree will be hung. Magnets? Rod pockets? We'll figure it out.

It looks huge on my wall here, but it'll lose 11" in height and quite a lot in width due to all those seams.  I'll add a tree trunk, and it'll finish about 78" high and 30" wide, just right to hang on the back of the front door.

Next step: cutting the background. I plan on neutral/low volume horizontal strips that will finish at 3" wide, the same height as the triangles. I'll use the side triangle die of the Triangle-in-a-Square die to cut small neutral pieces to square off the rows at the ends of the green triangles, so cutting those should go quickly, too.

Then it will be just a matter of joining pieces into rows, etc. I'm hoping to have the top completely done by the end of May and the tree quilted and bound by the beginning of July for Sarah Craig's 12 Days of Christmas in July blog hop.


Linkups: Sew Fresh Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation

7 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your greens just shine. It's going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always amazing to watch a triangle quilt shrink when sewn together. Sounds like you have a nice visit to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea for a small living space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great solution to the dilemma of where to put a tree. The assortment of greens look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Great idea, and it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete